Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range only venue not on Metro map
As the Capital gears up for the Commonwealth Games,Delhi Metro is all set to bring most of the venues on its map. With nearly 25 to 57 per cent work completed on all routes,the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is confident of providing easy connectivity to 10 out of the 11 venues.
While the construction work on five lines is expected to be complete by the end of this year,the remaining five will be ready by September 2010,a month before the Games,said a DMRC official.
The work on Phase II is progressing at a fast pace and will connect most of the venues,making the event easily accessible for sports lovers. Vishwavidyalaya-Jahangirpuri,Indraprastha-New Ashok Nagar,New Ashok Nagar-Noida,Yamuna Bank-Anand Vihar ISBT and Inderlok-Mundka will be operational in 2009, DMRC spokesperson Anuj Dayal said.
We are also planning to start feeder bus services at the stations which are merely a kilometre away from the venues, Dayal added.
* Games Village,Jawaharlal Nehru (JLN) Stadium and Delhi University will have direct access to Metro stations. The Games Village,where most athletes will reside,is adjacent to the Akshardham station on the Indraprastha-New Ashok Nagar line,The JLN Stadium,where the opening and closing ceremonies are to be held,can be accessed directly from the JLN Stadium Metro station or from the Jangpura station. DU,which will host the rugby events,already has its own station Vishwavidyalaya
* The Thyagaraj Complex will be 1 km from the underground INA Metro station,part of the Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar Metro line
* The Siri Fort Sports Complex will also be 1 km from the Hauz Khas station
* Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium the hockey venue and the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex,which will host cycling,archery,wrestling and gymnastics events,will be 1.5 km from the Pragati Maidan and Indraprastha stations,respectively.
* National Stadium can be accessed from Central Secretariat
* Talkatora Indoor Stadium,Yamuna Sports Complex and RK Tennis Complex,will be just 2 km from Metro stations. Talkatora can be accessed from Jhandewalan,the Yamuna Sports Complex from Anand Vihar a part of the Yamuna Bank-Anand Vihar ISBT line and R K Tennis Complex from the AIIMS Metro station,also part of the Central Secretariat-Qutub Minar line.
* Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range will be the only venue to be located more than 2 km away from a Metro station. The nearest station,Tughlaqabad on the under-construction Central Secretariat-Badarpur line will be at a distance of 7 km