Follow Us:
Sunday, July 15, 2018

Man held days after wife,2 children found dead

MANDAWALI DEATHS: Children were drowned,woman found hanging; her brother say she was harassed by husband

Written by Ananya Bhardwaj | New Delhi | Published: June 11, 2013 2:10:10 am

Five days after a 32-year-old woman and her two children were found dead at their home in Mandawali,East Delhi,her husband was arrested on Monday on the charges of abetment to suicide and murder.

Sarita Yadav was found hanging from the ceiling fan in the bedroom,while the body of her daughter Pari (5) was found inside a washing machine. Her 11-month-old son,Rudra,was found drowned in a bucket. Earlier,police suspected it to be case of murder-suicide,but Sarita’s husband,Devendra Yadav,was arrested after her brother filed a complaint.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Ajay Kumar said that two cases of harassment were registered with the women’s cell against Devendra — in 2008 and 2010 — after Sarita and her brother filed dowry harassment complaints.

Sarita’s brother Ranjeet Yadav said: “My sister married Devendra in 2005 and things were smooth only for a month. Right after their marriage,Devendra started demanding money for the construction of Yadav Niwas,saying that he did not have the resources to build a house.”

Sarita and her family lived on the second floor of Yadav Niwas.

Ranjeet said Pari was afflicted with polio and Devendra often blamed Sarita for it.

“For two years,my sister took Pari to Kalawati Hospital as he never gave her money for treatment and she could not afford a private hospital. My sister,who put in so much effort to make sure that Pari recovers,could never have killed her daughter. Devendra was behind the death of the children and he forced my sister to commit suicide,” Ranjeet alleged.

Ranjeet claimed that he gave Sarita’s in-laws Rs 5 lakh. “Once he (Devendra) asked for a Bullet bike. I did not want to spoil Sarita’s married life,so I agreed. But his demands kept increasing and he asked for a car. When my sister refused,he assaulted her and threw her out of the house,” he said.

That was when Sarita filed the first complaint against her husband,Ranjeet said.

“After we filed the complaint,Devendra got scared and came pleading at our door. Sarita gave in despite me telling her to ask for a written apology,” he said.

“In 2010,he hit her again. After this,Sarita decided to leave him and another complaint was filed with the women’s cell.”

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App