A 14-year-old boy and his grandfather were killed after the Scooty they were riding was hit by a speeding Toyota Fortuner on Monday morning in East Delhi’s Anand Vihar area. Police said the driver of the SUV managed to flee the spot.
According to police, the victims have been identified as Rishabh and his grandfather Sulekh Chand (65). “The incident occurred on Monday morning when Rishabh and Chand were on their way home. The over-speeding Fortuner rammed into the Scooty from behind at Ashoka Niketan signal,” a police officer said.
Eyewitnesses told police that the impact was such that the Scooty was dragged atleast 50 mts by the SUV before coming to a halt.
- Mumbai-Pune Expressway: Five killed as speeding tempo rams into them
- Milk tanker rams school van in Delhi: One dead, 17 injured
- Out shopping after exam, 17-yr-old baseball player run over by tractor
- Chandigarh: Kin of accident victim demand action against Fortuner riders
- 4-year-old killed by speeding tempo,driver held
- Bike hit by speeding truck,2 killed
“Some passersby made a call to the PCR. The victims were rushed to a nearby hospital where they were declared brought dead,” the officer said.
On the basis of the PCR call, a case of rash and negligent driving has been registered at Anand Vihar police station. Rishabh’s body has been sent for an autopsy, police said.
“We have managed to identify the vehicle (registration number: UP-14 CN 9500) with the help of eyewitnesses and are now trying to trace the driver. We have recorded the statement of witnesses and are questioning others,” a senior police officer said.