Man attempts self immolation at Vijay Chowk

A 26-year-old man attempted self-immolation at Vijay Chowk on Thursday.

Written by Ardhra Nair | New Delhi | Published: July 27, 2012 1:37:57 am

A 26-year-old man attempted self-immolation at Vijay Chowk on Thursday. Mukesh was saved by the policemen posted in the area and rushed to RML Hospital,where doctors said he had suffered 25 per cent burns.

Mukesh was protesting against UP Police’s inaction against those who had allegedly raped his two-year-old daughter.

Mukesh is a resident of Beswa village,Aligarh,and came to the Capital to register his protest on Thursday morning.

Officers of the Delhi Police were told that Mukesh had filed a complaint stating that his nephew had kidnapped his wife and two children — four-year-old son and two-year-old daughter.

Mukesh alleged that his nephew had raped his daughter. The allegation has been denied by UP Police,who said Mukesh is an alcoholic.

Station House Officer of Iglash police station R D Yadav,under whose jurisdiction Mukesh’s house falls,said he is an alcoholic and his wife had deserted him.

“Around 10 days ago,he had beaten his wife severely,after which she left home with the children. His wife told us that Mukesh did not work and had sold off all their belongings. No rape had happened with any of his children. His elder brother,who takes care of him,is also aware of the case,” Yadav said.

Around 1.30 pm on Thursday,Mukesh arrived at Vijay Chowk and poured petrol on his body to set himself on fire.

Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (New Delhi district) Sanjay Tyagi said: “There were police officers at the spot. They saw him on fire and pushed him in to a water fountain.”

Doctors at the hospital said Mukesh’s condition is stable. “He has been kept in the resuscitation room. He has suffered 25 percent burns,but his condition is stable. He suffered upper body burns,mostly on arms and back,” said Dr T S Sidhu,Chief Medical Superintendent of RML Hospital.

Police said Mukesh’s brother has been informed,and he will be in the city by Friday.

Senior Superintendent of Police (Aligarh) Piyush Mordia said: “We spoke to Gunjan,Mukesh’s wife,and it appears that he is suffering from a psychiatric disorder. He has never approached the police till date. He used to beat his wife because of which she deserted him. He wants her to come back that he is why he tried to commit suicide. His children are happy to be at their mother’s place. They are fine and no incident of rape has taken place.”

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App