The Delhi Medical Council (DMC) has suspended registration certificates of four resident doctors for a month over alleged irregularities in the treatment of an 11-year-old boy. The boy, who had approached two major hospitals after his initial treatment was botched by a quack, eventually lost his left leg, which had to be amputated.
On May 1 last year, Bilal alias Aman was playing in his neighbourhood at Rana Pratap Bagh when a two-inch piece of glass pierced his skin and got lodged in his left foot. His family took him to the local quack, who merely cleaned the wound and gave the boy some medicines, said Aman’s father Kadir Ahmed.
“We went to a quack, which was our mistake. But then we went to two top hospitals in the capital. But in both hospitals, they delayed his treatment as they could not identify the piece of glass initially. My son’s leg could have been saved if doctors at these hospitals had treated him on time,” said Bilal’s father Ahmed, who works as an electrician.
Four resident doctors from Safdarjung and Bara Hindurao hospitals, under the Centre and the North Delhi Municipal Corporation respectively, have had their registrations suspended, DMC registrar Dr Girish Tyagi told The Indian Express.
“We have taken action against the quack, and we have suspended the licenses of one junior resident doctor and three senior resident doctors. While there is no doubt that the quack performed a botched-up surgery he was not qualified to do, lapses were observed in the way the four resident doctors handled the patient.These were the doctors on duty the night the boy was taken to Safdarjung and Bara Hindurao hospitals.” Dr Tyagi said.
According to Dr Tyagi, doctors at Bara Hindurao Hospital failed to identify the piece of glass embedded in the boy’s foot, despite conducting an X-ray hours after he was treated by the quack. The boy was neither admitted to the hospital nor given any kind of treatment.
He was finally admitted the next day, when his family took him to the hospital again. This time, the doctors removed the piece of glass.
A few days later, he was discharged from Hindurao hospital and referred to Safdarjung hospital to consult a vascular surgeon. “Resident doctors from various specialties checked the patient there, but eventually he was not admitted. He was just told to go home. The patient again had to go back the next day to get treated,” Dr Tyagi said.
The next month, doctors at a Meerut hospital had to amputate the boy’s left leg, which had become infected by then.
When the DMC held an inquiry into the incident, the four doctors failed to give any satisfactory responses about the lapses in the boy’s treatment, said Dr Tyagi.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines