Juvenile who ‘killed’ 5 months ago, kills again: Police took two days to suspect foul play

While money and phones were missing from the house, the jewelry on the body was intact, said a police officer.

Written by Alok Singh , Abhishek Angad | New Delhi | Published: February 6, 2016 2:39:01 am
lodhi Mithilesh Jain’s house in Lodhi Colony. Express photo

Mithilesh Jain’s (68) favourite past time was scrolling through Facebook. Her son-in-law Ashok Agarwal, a charted accountant by profession, owned an office space in the first floor of the building in Lodhi Colony where she lived and said she used the WiFi from the office.

“She browsed the internet on her iPad. It was stolen and she was killed for it,” said a senior police officer. Mithilesh’s body was discovered by her son-in-law the next day and police initially declared it a natural death. Two days later, when the preliminary autopsy report said the cause of death was smothering, police registered a case of murder.

Share This Article
Related Article

A retired Military Engineering Services officer, Mithilesh spent her time visiting her daughters. While one daughter lives in Delhi, the other stays in the US. She was supposed to visit Singapore in March.

Police said a neighbour spotted the juvenile at about 3 pm on January 31. “She saw Mithilesh letting the boy inside her house. The neighbour thought he was a relative,” said police, adding that the body was discovered the next day. It took two days for police to suspect foul play.

While money and phones were missing from the house, the jewelry on the body was intact, said a police officer.

“Initially, we wondered why anyone would one leave jewellery intact if they needed money. Later, the family reported that most of the jewellery in the kept in a cupboard was missing,” added the officer.

Police said the juvenile practiced dance in a community hall nearby every day and had done a recce of the house before committing the crime.

Police said after he killed Mithilesh, he went to his father’s shop in Lodhi Colony.

Police sources said they tracked the juvenile down after he switched on one of the stolen phones. “The woman’s phones were initially switched off but on Wednesday, we noticed one of her numbers was active. We tracked the location to Faridabad and apprehended the juvenile. He was sleeping in his house,” said the officer. He added that police also recovered two phones and the iPad.

He had spent Rs 1,300 of the Rs 7,000 he stole to buy a pair of jeans and shoes.

He told police that he wanted to save that money for applying for a talent hunt. He also told police that he approached one of his friends to store some songs into that mobile phone so that he could practice on them.

“His old phone had some problems due to which he could not load songs and practice his dance moves,” said the officer.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App