Follow Us:
Saturday, August 13, 2022

Juvenile accused had threatened to kill my son but police took no action, says mother

Police said on October 11 night, Shiva had gone to Murthal with the three on two scooters.

Written by Prawesh Lama | New Delhi |
October 16, 2014 1:53:12 am
Shama Kalra’s son Shiva’s body was found in Haryana. Shama Kalra’s son Shiva’s body was found in Haryana.

Eighteen-year-old Shiva Kalra, a schoolboy from Delhi who was strangled, shot and then burnt allegedly by three friends in Haryana’s Murthal village on October 11, had left home in Rohini’s Sector 3 around 11.30 pm. He told his mother he was going to buy a pizza from a nearby shop.

Around 12.30 am, Shama, his mother, spoke to him. Shiva, a Class XII student at a private school in Rohini, told her he would be back in half-an-hour. His phone was switched off when she called him minutes later. She never heard from him for the next 48 hours as she went from one police station to another. Police, she alleged, initially refused to register an FIR, saying an 18-year-old boy could not have been kidnapped.
In the wee hours of Tuesday, some local residents broke the news to her that Shiva had been murdered and that a juvenile and two others, Parth and Varun, had been arrested.

The Haryana police found Shiva’s charred body in the bushes near an amusement park on GT Karnal Road in Murthal, about 50 km from Delhi. Shiva was strangled, shot thrice and then his body set on fire allegedly by the three after they had dinner at a dhaba in Murthal, police said.
According to police, the accused said Shiva had made a “personal remark against the juvenile, because of which he was harbouring a grudge against him and had been planning to kill him”.

Police said on October 11 night, Shiva had gone to Murthal with the three on two scooters. Police said the three strangled him, then pumped three bullets into him. Later, they bought petrol from a pump on the Delhi-Chandigarh highway and set fire to Shiva’s body to hide his identity.
On Monday night, the mother of the juvenile, who police say is the main accused, got her son to surrender. His questioning led police to Parth and Varun. Hours before the arrests, police registered an FIR on Monday.

Subscriber Only Stories
What three letters, part of the Lahore Conspiracy Case, will be part of a...Premium
Seven decades since Independence, it’s high time our films reflecte...Premium
India still fails its women, 75 years after IndependencePremium
Cricket chases the American dreamPremium

Shiva’s family blamed police for his death, alleging that about a month ago, the juvenile had beaten him at the Japanese Park in Rohini. The two had then been taken to the Prashant Vihar police station. His mother alleged police forced them to reach a compromise.

“A passerby had seen the juvenile and the other two beating my son and informed the PCR. The parents of all the boys were called to the police station. Police refused to take action and sent us back. The juvenile had threatened to kill Shiva in front of a police officer. Had they taken action then, my son would have been alive today,” Shama said.

Shama claimed her complaint to police had the names of the juvenile and the other two, but police had deleted the names in the FIR. “They did not take my complaint till Monday evening. Later, when I saw my statement in the FIR, I saw it had been changed. The names of the three I suspect have been removed by police at the Rohini North police station,” she said.

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
First published on: 16-10-2014 at 01:53:12 am

Featured Stories