A city court has pulled up the Delhi Police’s Crime Branch over the pace of investigation into an alleged job racket.
More than 1,000 people were allegedly cheated by the accused, who promised them jobs under the Rajiv Awas Yojana. But a city court, granting bail to the arrested persons this month, pulled up the Crime Branch, saying that “despite there being sufficient time” to probe the case, the police had traced only four victims — and without any “specific evidence”. At this pace, the investigation would take “several years to complete”, the court said.
The Crime Branch began probing the case following orders from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). But over six months after the probe was launched, the police are yet to file a chargesheet.
It is alleged that the accused collected sums from Rs 15,300 to Rs 23,500 each from nearly 1,500 people from various states by promising state and central government jobs under the Rajiv Awas Yojana.
The court released the accused on the ground that “no specific evidence” had been collected by the investigation officer to disclose “the exact amount involved in cheating and the victims thereof”, hence “no useful purpose will be served by keeping the accused behind bars”.
“I fail to understand as to why, despite there being sufficient time to investigate the matter, he has been able to trace only four (victims) till date… the investigation will take several years to complete,” said Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sanjay Khanagwal.
During the bail hearing, when the court asked the investigating officer how many people were cheated, the officer said there were “hundreds of victims who are yet to be identified”.
On June 10, the police had arrested Manoj Sharma (26), Javed Khan (32), Abhishek Sharma (29), Mohinder Kumar (29) and Sulabh Gulati (23), all residents of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh, in the case. After spending over 70 days in jail, they got bail this month.