Commissioner B S Bassi has called AAP MLA Jarnail Singh an absconder in a case of assault. The incident dates back to April 28 when the Tilak Nagar MLA allegedly assaulted an MCD engineer during the demolition of an illegal building in his west Delhi constituency.
In a briefing on Tuesday, Bassi said Singh had moved a Delhi court after an FIR was lodged against him, seeking anticipatory bail. But he has been evading arrest after the bail plea was rejected on Saturday. The FIR was registered on a complaint filed by Athar Mustafa, the municipal junior engineer who Singh is said to have beaten up.
- Somnath Bharti to face trial over 2014 Khirki extension raid: Delhi court
- Court discharges AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan in 2010 case: Police filed choreographed chargesheet
- Court discharges AAP MLA Jarnail Singh in assault case
- MLA Jarnail Singh case: Bassi files High Court plea against Assembly notice
- Court refuses to shield MLA Jarnail Singh from arrest
- AAP MLA Jarnail Singh booked for allegedly assaulting MCD engineer
“We had registered an FIR under sections 186 (obstructing public servant in discharge of duty) and 353 (assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty) at Tilak Nagar police station on April 28 where Jarnail Singh was alleged to have been part of the mob which assaulted the engineer. Singh also, as per the statement of the complainant, had torn up the registers the engineer was carrying,” DCP West Pushpendra Singh said.
Mustafa says in his complaint that he notified the persons who claimed to be the owner of the building about the demolition, after which he began the demolition work. Within half and hour, locals present at the site called up several other persons including Tilak Nagar MLA Jarnail Singh, all of whom gathered at the spot. They started sloganeering, manhandled him, and tore up official documents that he was carrying.
The engineer further claims that Singh and the crowd threatened to falsely implicate him in a case of corruption. The incident was videotaped by policemen present at the spot, he claims.