Israeli diplomat attack case: Three years after arrest, journalist returns to work

He had earlier been advised by his counsel against returning to journalism, keeping in view the facts and circumstances of the case.

Written by Kaunain Sheriff M | New Delhi | Updated: October 7, 2015 9:16:37 am
 Israeli diplomat, Israeli diplomat attack, Israeli diplomat attack case, 2012 Israeli diplomat attack, Syed Mohammad Kazmi, diplomat Tal Yehoshua, Tal Yehoshua, delhi latest news Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi was accused of being a conspirator in the case.

On Tuesday morning, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) aired a news report about former prime minister Manmohan Singh’s visit to Chandigarh, and his views on the strained relationship between India and Pakistan under Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government. The report had been compiled by Delhi-based journalist Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, accused of being a conspirator in the 2012 Israeli diplomat attack case in the capital.

Kazmi, who was arrested over three years ago by the Special Cell of Delhi police, this week took up a job with the IRIB — Iran’s state-run radio agency. He was earlier associated with Doordarshan, where he worked as an anchor for Urdu news bulletins. He had joined Doordarshan in 1993 and had even reported from Iraq’s conflict zone in 2003.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

Kazmi, who had earlier worked as a correspondent with the Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA) between 1983 and 1990, joined the IRIB’s radio wing on Monday. He will file daily news reports from India for IRIB’s Urdu bulletin.

He had earlier been advised by his counsel against returning to journalism, keeping in view the facts and circumstances of the case.

In the chargesheet filed by the Special Cell of Delhi Police, he had been accused of offences under various provisions of the stringent Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA) and the Explosive Substances Act.

“I had asked my client to restrain himself from working for any news agency, as one has to report hard facts that might cause prejudice against my client. This was done keeping in my mind the abundant precaution one has to take considering the facts and circumstances of this case. However, more than three years have passed and he has no fixed source of income. This is one of the main reasons I have now asked him start working again. Initially, I believed that he should just concentrate on the case, as it is a voluminous one,” Kazmi’s defence counsel advocate Mehmood Pracha told The Indian Express.

Speaking about his return to journalism, Kazmi said, “I had just finished presenting my bulletin on Doordarshan when I was arrested outside the Islamic Centre in Lodhi colony. This report is the first one after a three-year-long year sabbatical. It is an exciting time to report on Iran-related issues and India’s engagement with Iran, especially due to the changing equation between Iran and global powers after the historic nuclear deal”.

The Delhi sessions court is currently hearing arguments on framing of charges against Kazmi.

A revision petition filed by the accused — pertaining to issues related to special offences like those under UAPA to be exclusively tried by a special court or a sessions court — is pending in the Delhi High Court.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement