In the dead of night, admission racket ‘kingpin’ nabbed from Haridwar house

In the dead of night, admission racket ‘kingpin’ nabbed from Haridwar house

With the policemen chasing him, Injerjeet Singh tried to scale another wall, but fell down in the process.

The Delhi Police’s one-and-a-half-month long search for Inderjeet Singh alias Kaku, the alleged kingpin of a fake admission racket at the Delhi University, ended in the early hours of Wednesday, when he was arrested from his uncle’s residence in Haridwar amid high drama.

To evade police, Singh and his associate Himanshu Gupta travelled across Rajasthan, Punjab, Maharashtra and Uttar Pradesh, said police sources. The duo reportedly sought refuge at the residences of their friends and relatives. Twelve days ago, Gupta went his own way, said sources.

On Tuesday, the Delhi police, which had been trying to track down Singh since busting the alleged racket in July, received information that he was hiding at his uncle’s place in Haridwar.


“A team was put together and sent to Haridwar. At 2.30 am on Wednesday, they knocked on the door of Singh’s uncle’s residence. When Singh saw policemen at the door, he scaled the wall at the back of the house and tried to escape,” said police sources. He was spotted by policemen who had been deployed near the rear-door to prevent exactly such an escape.


With the policemen chasing him, Singh tried to scale another wall, but fell down in the process.

“The real drama began after the policemen nabbed Singh and brought him back to his uncle’s place. His uncle had already called the local police and told them that some armed assailants, posing as cops from Delhi Police, had kidnapped his nephew to carry out a fake encounter,” said police sources.

Soon, the Haridwar Police reached the spot. The Delhi Police team then had to show their identity cards to their Haridwar counterparts to sort out the confusion. They also took Singh for a medical examination, said sources.
Singh was later produced before a court in Delhi, which sent him to four-day police remand. The police are now looking for Singh’s alleged associate Gupta, who had been arrested in connection with another admission scam at the DU in 2011.

“During questioning, Singh disclosed that he had been running this fake admission racket for the last eight years and was involved in nearly 25 admissions in leading colleges of the Delhi University (DU), which he secured with the help of fake documents,” said a police official.

Singh and his associates charged between Rs 7 lakh and Rs 8 lakh for admission to DU’s North Campus colleges and nearly Rs 4 lakh for admission to the university’s South Campus colleges, said officials.

Singh often introduced himself as the youth wing secretary of a national political party and even had plans to contest the civic polls in Delhi, said sources.