The Delhi University Students Union (DUSU) has written to DU officials,asking them to bring back the special chance rule that gives students two more years to complete their courses.
According to Arun Hooda,the president of DUSU,the decision of cancelling span period extension and special chance rule was an arbitrary decision of the Delhi University authorities.
A notice had been issued on October 10 to do away with span period extension and special chance to those unfortunate students who were unable to complete their course within the stipulated span period. Many students are unable to complete their courses in the stipulated time period due to various reasons like illness,family difficulties and poor economic condition. DUSU,thus,is pressing for the withdrawal of this notification, Hooda said.
DUSU members said the withdrawal should happen at the earliest because the notice also affects students who had taken admission a few years ago since the span period was five years.
The notification states that applications already submitted will not be processed. This is not good for students, he said.
This move has also been criticised by the teaching community. Delhi University Teachers Association has been protesting against various academic as well as examination reforms that have been introduced in the university. They had also raised the issue of the abolition of special chances.
Sources in the university administration said the removal of special chances measure was necessary due to the huge administrative burden on the examination branch,which has increased with the introduction of the semester system and the increase in the number of OBC seats.
Officials at the examination branch,however,could not be reached for comments.