Hospitals on alert after suspected swine flu death

Health officials said doctors who treated her had been directed to send the samples.

Written by Pritha Chatterjee | New Delhi | Published: December 28, 2014 1:55:51 am

A day after a 51-year-old woman from Ghaziabad was identified as the first suspected victim of swine flu in the capital, Health department officials said her samples had still not been sent to National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) for confirmation of the diagnosis.

Doctors at Sir Ganga Ram hospital said her nasopharyngeal swab samples had not been preserved since it was not the protocol and denied being asked by the government to send the samples.

“She had been diagnosed with H1N1 infection by Lal Path Labs, an accredited lab. We confirmed the diagnosis from our lab too,” medical superintendent of Sir Ganga Ram hospital said.

However, Health officials said doctors who treated her had been directed to send the samples.

Meanwhile, the department issued fresh instructions to 22 hospitals, designated for treatment of H1N1 cases, and directed them to be “vigilant” and keep isolation wards ready. Health department officials said hospitals had also been asked to send samples of all suspected H1N1 patients to NCDC for tests, before notifying cases.

Dr Charan Singh, the nodal officer for H1N1 virus under the Delhi government, said, “We have advised hospitals to get tests done for future cases only at the eight authorised labs. But they have been also asked to send samples to NCDC.”

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App