The state consumer commission has directed the North Delhi Power Limited (NDPL) to cough up Rs 1.25 lakh as compensation to a consumer whose house caught fire due to a sudden supply of high voltage in 2003.
Citing deficiency in service,the discom was held guilty of failing to ensure periodical check-ups of all installations used for supply of electricity. The order came on a complaint filed by one Vipin Talwar,a resident of Civil Lines in North Delhi.
According to Talwar,there was a disruption in power supply at his apartment on the morning of November 11,2003 due to repair work undertaken by the discom. Though supply was restored later that same day,Talwar complained that the discom supplied very high-voltage power for the first few minutes due to which his television set caught fire. Within seconds,he said,the fire spread to the rest of the house.
NDPL contended that the fire in Talwars house was a fallout of internal short-circuit. The discom also said no complaint had been registered with its central complaint cell. But consumer commission president Justice J D Kapoor said such a huge loss could not have occurred had the discom duly checked the regulators and stabilisers.