The Delhi High Court on Thursday directed the state government to submit a report within two weeks on the proposed new policy for rehabilitation of erstwhile Blueline bus operators. The court has also directed the government to conduct a study and submit a report on the requirement of public transport in the National Capital Territory of Delhi.
In April this year,the Delhi government had submitted its draft policy for rehabilitation of former Blueline operators,to the high court. The report suggested they could be allowed to operate mid-sized buses or mini buses in the unserviced or poorly serviced rural areas restricted broadly beyond Outer Ring Road and trans-Yamuna.
The amicus curiae,Advocate Kailash Vasudev,had said that the private operators should not be allowed to run buses on specified routes. He said the rural and poorly serviced areas should also be brought under the cluster bus service or the Grameen Seva Rickshaw services.
The government had earlier said that it had created a multimodal transport policy that would be enough for Delhi. Why is it talking about Blueline operators now? asked Vasudev. He also questioned the proposed safeguards and rules in the policy for private operators.
The court of Acting Chief Justice Badar Durrez Ahmad and Justice Vibhu Bakhru asked the government to submit a comparative table giving details of the new scheme comparing the terms and conditions of the earlier schemes related to private stage carriages operating in Delhi. The court also asked the government to explain the need to introduce private players in public transport. In reply,Delhi government counsel Anjum Javed told the court that mid-sized buses were needed as roads in the unauthorised colonies or rural areas could not support the large DTC low-floor buses. The government has claimed that the policy was created to augment the public transport in Delhi.