The Delhi High Court has directed BSES Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL) to pay Rs 8 lakh as compensation to the family of an 18-year-old Delhi University student,who died in July 2010 after being electrocuted by an exposed wire.
The court of Justice V K Jain directed the discom to pay compensation after noting that there were two major negligences in the installation and maintenance of electric wires by the respondent BYPL.
Lokesh Kumar was electrocuted on July 12,2010,while passing through a narrow lane near Nicholson Road,Kashmere Gate,where an exposed electrical wire was hanging near an iron gate. The road was also waterlogged due to the rain.
The boy was completely drenched when he touched the gate while walking down the lane. He was rushed to the nearby St Stephens Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
Lokeshs father approached the High Court in 2012 after the Delhi government and BYPL failed to pay compensation.
The High Court held that BYPL was liable to pay compensation,after investigation by the electrical inspector revealed that the discom failed to provide an earth terminal at the spot.
Also,it was found that the heavy duty LT service cable had been hanging at a height of two-three feet from the ground,and was in direct contact with rain water that had collected on the road.
The High Court has directed the discom to pay compensation after holding that there was negligence on the part of the said respondent in the upkeep and maintenance of electric wires on the street.