Premium

Haryana gives in-principle nod for handover of ITO barrage, crucial for flood management in Delhi

In July, the Delhi government had formally requested the Haryana government to hand over control of the ITO barrage on the Yamuna, as the Capital had previously been affected by floods

ito barrageThe ITO barrage has been a point of contention during the 2023 floods. Five of the 32 gates of the barrage were found to be jammed, leading to delays in flood mitigation efforts (Express Archive)
Written by: Sophiya Mathew
4 min readNew DelhiSep 16, 2025 05:15 AM IST First published on: Sep 16, 2025 at 05:15 AM IST

The Haryana government has given an in-principle approval for the official handover of ITO barrage, which has been critical for management of floods in the Capital, officials of the Irrigation and Flood Control (I&FC) department of the Delhi government said on Monday. The nod comes days after the city saw flooding in several parts amid heavy rain.

I&FC and Water Minister Parvesh Sahib Singh said that the decision was agreed upon by the two states in a recent joint meeting. “I-principle approval for handover of the ITO barrage has been obtained… The Delhi portion of the Munak canal will be maintained by the Delhi government.” The Minister also confirmed that the barrage won’t be decommissioned as its gates would remain fully functional and it could help in water diversion, when needed.

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments