The Delhi government Friday announced that infrastructure and development charges for all new water and sewer connections will be waived to encourage more people to join the Delhi Jal Board’s (DJB) supply network, instead of resorting to illegal means.
Addressing a press conference Friday, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the move will help people save up to Rs 1.25 lakh. Earlier this week, the government had announced a scheme under which applicants for new sewer connections, till March 31, 2020, will not be charged.
“It has been observed that many residents across different areas in Delhi do not have legal water connections. Despite water pipelines in their areas, lakhs of households in the city have not installed water or sewer connections because of high installation, infrastructural and development charges. Residents resort to illegal means to connect to water pipelines but refrain from taking a formal connection because of high charges,” said Kejriwal.
Currently, the owner of a 200 square metre plot has to spend Rs 1.14 lakh on a sewer or water connection, whereas residents owning 300 square metre plots have to pay Rs 1.25 lakh, the CM said. Under the new arrangement, a payment of Rs 2,310 will have to be made, irrespective of plot sizes, he said.
Kejriwal said the decision will lead to a reduction in the DJB’s losses on account of “non-revenue or unaccounted water”, as people are expected to install formal connections rather than connecting to the pipelines illegally.
“At the time of formation of our government, only 58% of Delhi had water pipelines installed; now, around 93% of Delhi has water pipelines installed,” Kejriwal said.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines