scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, August 12, 2022

Govt talks tough,removes home quarantine option for swine flu patients

While another person,a 41-year-old woman who came from Haiti,tested positive for the H1N1 virus on Wednesday,the authorities met today to do away with the provision of ‘home quarantine’.

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi |
June 12, 2009 1:38:10 am

While another person,a 41-year-old woman who came from Haiti,tested positive for the H1N1 virus on Wednesday,the authorities met today to do away with the provision of ‘home quarantine’. “If any person is suspected to be infected with the H1N1 virus,he or she will have to be admitted in a government hospital. If the patient disagrees,we will not hesitate to use provisions of the law to get affected patients admitted in designated hospitals,” said Health Minister Kiran Walia.

Senior officials from the National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NICD),state government’s Health department and district-level medical officers were part of the meeting that discussed the process of detection and quarantine. Walia said the affected will create a health hazard if they don’t get admitted. She criticised the businessman who had refused to be admitted in RML Hospital,preferring to be treated in his Rajokri farmhouse instead.

Meanwhile,the fifth patient,from Haiti,has been admitted at the RML Hospital. As of Thursday,the NICD has received eight samples,informed Dr Shashi Khare,Head of Virology. While Delhi has had five cases of swine flu,the total number of cases in the country has risen to 15. Speaking of another case,where there was substantial delay in collecting samples,quarantining and hospitalising a teenager from Boston,Walia said a series of measures had been instituted — including sprucing up hospitals and training doctors to deal with the disease.

“Delays in admitting patients or even collecting samples are unacceptable. We are ironing out details so that people don’t face these problems. We have formed rapid response teams and will be conducting intensive awareness campaigns starting tomorrow,’ said J P Singh,Principal Secretary,Health.

Subscriber Only Stories
UPSC Key-August 10, 11, and August 12, 2022: Why you should read ‘Euthana...Premium
Laal Singh Chaddha: A comfortable film for the obedient IndianPremium
What is border post 918 which provides shade to both India and Pakistan?Premium
Ravi Shankar Prasad: ‘(Nitish) is nothing on his own… He may be honest bu...Premium

The government has started another helpline number,23921401,apart from the toll free number 1075 to provide details about all aspects of the disease,the Health Minister informed.

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
First published on: 12-06-2009 at 01:38:10 am

Featured Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement