Follow Us:
Thursday, December 09, 2021

Going gets tough for state board students

DU colleges deny admission to Haryana,UP Board students with provisional marksheets

Written by Express News Service | New Delhi |
July 4, 2013 1:22:27 am


Despite scoring 90 per cent in Class XII,Vinod Rawat from Palwal district in Haryana has been running from pillar to post hoping to get admission in Delhi University.

A student of the Haryana Board,Rawat has not received his marksheet yet,making admission in DU an uphill task.

“I want to take admission in Mathematics and I meet the cut-off percentage at colleges like Deshbandhu and Shaheed Bhagat Singh. But I haven’t yet received my Class XII marksheet from the school. I have a provisional marksheet,” Vinod said. He had come to seek admission at Sri Aurobindo College on Wednesday.

“I had come here yesterday,too. I was earlier told that I won’t get admission because I do not have my original marksheet. Later on,I was told that the provisional marksheet would be accepted. I had filled the form yesterday and I was asked to come back today to get admission. When I reached the college today,I was told that my form has been rejected due to lack of necessary documents,” Vinod said.

Like Vinod,several students from various state boards come to Delhi University in the hope of getting an undergraduate seat only to find out that they do not have the necessary documents to get admission.

Shrey Tiwari also wants to study Mathematics. A student of the Uttar Pradesh Board,Shrey hails from Baraut region of UP and has secured 86 per cent. After visiting several colleges in DU,he says that he is finding it increasingly difficult to get admission.

“The colleges tell me that my marks’ records are not available with them. I was asked to go to South Campus to get my form verified. After verification,I was told that we have to give our transfer and migration certificates. I don’t have them. I should have been told earlier that these documents were required. In this process of running from one place to another,I have not been able to get admission anywhere,” he said.

Dinesh Varshney,Deputy Dean,Students’ Welfare,South Campus,said: “The marksheets of Haryana and UP Boards have not arrived yet but the results have been put up on the website. We have asked colleges to look at the website for verification. Students will be expected to sign an undertaking. Those coming from outside Delhi will also have to submit their migration or transfer certificates,as mentioned in the information bulletin.”

According to college authorities,the problems faced by students belonging to the state boards come up every admission season.

Explaining the process of verification,Shaheed Bhagat Singh College principal P K Khurana said: “A student comes to us with a print-out of a downloaded marksheet. We cross-check his/her details with the students’ records that we receive in a CD. If the original marksheet is not available,we require students to give their migration or transfer certificates and sign an undertaking stating that they would submit the original documents in a stipulated time period.”

Khurana said,“It is not possible for us to admit students otherwise since there is no other document that has a photograph of the student and which states that he studies at a particular school.”

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard