A Danish woman who was allegedly gangraped by eight persons, including two juveniles, in the national capital in January last year appeared before the special fast track court on Wednesday and identified three of the accused. She also recorded her statement before the court.
According to sources, she broke down twice while deposing before the court. The court proceedings lasted for five hours, during which she also faced cross-examination by the counsel for the defence.
- December 16 gangrape accused to hang, SC rejects pleas
- Kathua rape-murder case: Another accused claiming to be juvenile will be tried as adult
- Delhi HC upholds life term of five convicts who raped Danish woman
- 2014 Danish woman gangrape: Delhi HC upholds life imprisonment for five convicts
- 2009 Noida gangrape: 1 rape, 2 verdicts
- Danish woman gangrape case: Summons to victim remain unserved
During the in-camera proceedings, the 52-year-old woman identified three of the six adult accused, said sources. Initially, she had identified four men but later she said she was sure about only three of them, as one-and-a-half years had lapsed since the incident.
On Thursday, the court will record the statements of a police officer and a doctor, both Danish, who had recorded the woman’s testimony and examined her in Denmark.
The court had summoned the woman on February 24 this year to record her testimony after the earlier summons, issued on January, could not be served. It had directed that fresh summons be issued as per the guidelines of Ministry of External Affairs, which require a processing time of at least three months.
The police, in its chargesheet, had said the eight accused, including two juveniles, had robbed and gangraped the Danish tourist at knife-point on the night of January 14, 2014, after leading her to a secluded spot close to the Divisional Railway Officers’ Club near New Delhi Railway Station. The two juveniles are facing an inquiry before the Juvenile Justice Board.