scorecardresearch
Wednesday, Dec 07, 2022

Fire breaks out at Gurgaon mall, 5 rescued

Sources said the fire was reported at 5.40 am, following which at least ten fire tenders and a hydraulic crane were pressed into service.

Sources said the fire was reported at 5.40 am, following which at least ten fire tenders and a hydraulic crane were pressed into service. (Image source: Fire department)

Five people were rescued after a fire broke out in a pub at Global Foyer Mall in Gurgaon’s Golf Course Road on Saturday morning, fire department officials said. No person has been injured in the incident, which is suspected to have been caused by a short circuit, they added. The fire was later brought under control.

Sources said the fire was reported at 5.40 am, following which at least ten fire tenders and a hydraulic crane were pressed into service. A fire department official said the blaze was reported at La La Land Brew Pub on the first floor of the mall. “At the time of the incident, a few security guards and workers were present, making preparations to do inventory at the mall,” the official said. “A glass pane on the second floor was broken open and five men, including three security guards who had been stuck inside, were rescued with the help of a hydraulic crane. No injury has been reported,” he added.

Rai Singh, a fire department official, said the blaze spread quickly due to alcohol at the pub and gutted the place. “It also spread to some areas of the second floor before it was brought under control. Glass panes on the ceiling were removed for ventilation. The exact cause of the fire is being assessed. The pub and an adjoining unit have suffered the most damage,” Singh said.

Fire department officials said that parts of the ceiling on the first floor suffered damage. The mall has several restaurants, pubs and commercial offices.

Subscriber Only Stories
UPSC Key- December 7, 2022: Why you should read ‘Winter Session of Parlia...Premium
Over 50% landfill sites in 5 states, no remedial plansPremium
Cost & effect: Plastic surgery uptick in Mumbai govt hospitalsPremium
Oil price cap to preserve supply, enable countries like India to lower en...Premium

One of the security guards, who was rescued, said, “There was so much smoke inside… it was difficult to breathe. Someone informed the fire department and we were safely rescued.” An official of the pub said, “It is not known where the fire originated. No one from our staff were present at the time of the incident and the security guard was also asleep.”

First published on: 01-10-2022 at 11:43:23 am
Next Story

Ambani promises 5G across India by Dec 2023

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close