Engineer shot dead in Greater Noida restaurant after argument

Engineer shot dead in Greater Noida restaurant after argument

27-year-old was settling bill at counter when accused picked up argument, shot him.

A 27-year-old engineer was shot dead inside a restaurant in Jagat Farm area of Greater Noida on Saturday night following an argument with another customer over payment of bill.

Police said the engineer, Vivek Sharma, was a resident of P-4 sector in Greater Noida. He had gone to Yellow Chilli restaurant at Jagat Farm in Sector Gamma-I with his father and brother-in-law around 10 pm on Saturday. Sharma had been working with Jaypee Infratech for the last four years. The three had finished eating dinner and were in the process of settling their bill when the 27-year-old had an argument with another customer, who shot him dead moments later.

SP (rural) Brijesh Kumar said Sharma was standing at the payment counter after handing over a Rs 1,000 note to settle their bill of Rs 900. “The restaurant staff asked him to replace the currency note with another. But Sharma asked them to accept the note, pay back Rs 50 and keep the balance as tip. But the staff reportedly insisted on paying back the full balance. Meanwhile, another customer — identified as Ravi — came up to the counter and began arguing with Sharma,” he said.

Police said before he started arguing with the 27-year-old engineer, Ravi was standing in queue to get his food packed at the restaurant. As the argument intensified, other customers at the restaurant tried to calm the two. “Ravi left the restaurant, only to return again to the payment counter. Before anyone could react or understand what was happening, he shot Sharma in his chest and fled the spot,” a senior police officer said. Sharma’s family told police that Ravi was inebriated at the time of the incident.


Sharma was rushed to a nearby hospital, where doctors declared him brought dead. His body has been sent for a post-mortem examination. Police said there were no CCTV cameras installed either inside or outside the restaurant.

“A police team was stationed near the restaurant, but no one called for help until it was too late. There is no CCTV footage of the incident, but an eyewitness identified the assailant. We raided his house and identified him from his photograph. He will be arrested soon,” the officer said.

In February this year, a drunken cash van security guard shot at a worker in a shop at Gole Market after he lost his cool as his order for jalebis was taking time to arrive.