An 85-year-old woman died of suffocation and her husband is battling for life at the ICU of a city hospital after the air-conditioner at their East Delhi home caught fire,police said on Wednesday.
Sourekranti Khosla and her husband Jagmohan Lal Khosla (90) were brought to Deepak Memorial Hospital from their home in AGCR Enclave,near Karkardooma court complex.
While Sourekranti was declared dead on arrival,Jagmohan suffered serious injuries.
Investigation revealed that a short-circuit led to the fire,which resulted in dense smoke inside the couples second floor flat. The two fell unconscious due to the smoke.
After other family members realised that the house was on fire,they broke open the door to the elderly couples room and informed the Fire department.
Fire officials said two fire tenders were rushed to the spot. A CAT ambulance took the two victims to the hospital, an officer said.
Lakpat Ram Sharma,president of AGCR Cooperative House Building Society,said,Around midnight,we heard the sound of the fire tenders. I assumed it was a police patrol. It was much later we came to know that there was a fire in one of the flats of our society. Sourekrantis funeral was held on Wednesday afternoon. Her husband is in a critical condition.
The couple have two sons and a daughter.