East Delhi man is second to die of H1N1 since the New Yearhttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/east-delhi-man-is-second-to-die-of-h1n1-since-the-new-year/

East Delhi man is second to die of H1N1 since the New Year

8 more cases diagnosed, taking the tally to 30 since January 1.

A tourist walks around wearing a mask after Delhi sees a spurt in H1N1 cases. (Source: Express photo by Ravi Kanojia)
A tourist walks around wearing a mask after Delhi sees a spurt in H1N1 cases. (Source: Express photo by Ravi Kanojia)

A 30-year-old man from East Delhi, who was being treated at a private hospital, became the second one to die of H1N1 in the last two days in the capital.

Eight new cases of the virus were reported on Thursday, taking the tally of swine flu cases reported since the first week of the new year to 30. Thirty-eight cases were reported last year.

Officials of the Health department said the 30-year-old man was critical and had been on ventilator support for respiratory complications.

Doctors managing isolation centres in Delhi government hospitals said cases continue till the end of February every year. “Last year, we had a low number of cases. But in 2013, over 1,000 cases were reported. Isolation centres are now operational and there is enough stock of medicines,” RML medical superintendent Dr H K Kar said.

On Wednesday, the first swine flu death of the year was reported in the capital with a 42-year-old woman from Uttam Nagar succumbing to the virus at a private hospital.

Advertising

The death of two  — a 51-year-old woman from Ghaziabad and a 39-year-old man from Faridabad — have not been confirmed as H1N1 deaths by the Delhi  government.

Swine flu nodal officer

Dr Charan Singh said the UP and Haryana government had been informed about the cases.

“The respective health departments have to confirm the H1N1 diagnosis and report the cases to the Central government. The deaths in regions outside Delhi are not considered figures for the national capital. As per our records, Delhi has recorded two deaths due to swine flu this year until now.”

The eight new cases reported on Thursday include a 39-year old man, a resident of Preet Vihar, a 62-year-old man from Laxmi Nagar, a 54-year-old woman from Azadpur, and a 49-year-old woman from Satsang Vihar. All are being treated in private hospitals.

A 63-year-old man from Punjabi Bagh was admitted at RML hospital. A 70-year-old woman from Bharat Vihar, a 23-year-old woman from Prem Nagar and a 40-year-old man from Malviya Nagar were found to be positive for H1N1 and are undergoing treatment at Safdarjung hospital, Lady Hardinge and RML, respectively.

A senior doctor from Lady Hardinge Medical College, who was diagnosed with swine flu, is admitted to the ICU of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital and is said to be recovering.

Twenty-two hospitals — both government and private — have been authorised to treat H1N1 patients in Delhi and diagnostic tests have to be confirmed from eight identified labs. Delhi government officials said health staff in primary health centres will be trained in diagnosis and symptoms of H1N1. Delhi Health department secretary S C L Das said, “We already held a meeting with the National Centre for Disease Control and as part of a joint decision have decided to train workers at primary healthcare centres in handling swine flu cases.”

Download the Indian Express apps for iPhone, iPad or Android