Follow Us:
Thursday, May 13, 2021

Don’t have a pollution certificate? Can’t refuel

Jung okays proposal for mandatory Pollution Under Control certificate.

Written by Pragya Kaushika | New Delhi |
October 16, 2014 1:47:05 am
Date from which rule will be enforced is yet to be finalised. Date from which rule will be enforced is yet to be finalised.

Soon, you won’t be able to refuel at a petrol pump in the capital if you don’t have a Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate. Lt-Governor Najeeb Jung has approved a proposal that makes it mandatory for motorists to have the certificate for refuelling at pumps. If you don’t have the certificate, you can’t refuel.

Though the date from which the rule will be enforced is yet to be finalised, officials in the Delhi government said the notification is likely to come by November.

“We need to ensure there are enough petrol pumps equipped with the facilities to issue PUCs. We will also give people a waiting period of 15-20 days to obtain PUCs. We do not want a mad rush by setting a deadline,” an official said.

Facilities, the official said, are already available at several petrol pumps for checking the pollution levels of vehicles and the government was committed to making further arrangements.

“Almost 80 per cent of petrol pumps in Delhi are equipped to issue PUCs. The rest 20 per cent will have it sooner,” the official said.

After the Additional Solicitor General (ASG) of India favoured making pollution control certificates mandatory for motorists to refuel at petrol pumps, the state Environment department had sent the file to the Lt-Governor.

The ASG’s views on the legality of implementing the step was required. When he gave his opinion in favour of the proposal, it was sent to Jung for approval.

Anurag Narain of the Delhi Petrol Dealers’ Association said the step was welcome, but there could be difficulties implementing it. In this regard, he said, the association has written to the Lt-Governor, giving its views. “Petrol is an essential commodity, which we cannot refuse to a customer. A better way to implement it would be to put checkpoints at every crossing and challan those who do not have the pollution under check certificate,” Narain said.

The association is still awaiting a reply from Jung to its letter.

A high-powered committee tabled the proposal after the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared that Delhi has the worst air quality compared to many cities in the world.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.