Following the Gurgaon district administration’s order, the dismantling of the now defunct Sirhaul toll plaza on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway began on Tuesday — a move that could bring relief to over three lakh commuters who drive through this structure and have had to face all sorts of diversions to avoid accidents.
An official said that the concessionaire, Millennium City Expressways Private Ltd. (MCEPL), is chalking out an effective plan to remove the toll plaza.
Work of dismantling the structure will be conducted during the day only, the official said. According to the initial plan, MCEPL was to outsource the work by hiring a firm but has now started the work on its own.
Early last month, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) had served MCEPL a three-month notice to raze the toll plaza, failing which the latter would have to face heavy monetary penalty.
“Since we have been given 90 days to complete the job, we could not wait for outsourcing agencies who were demanding too much money.
This is going to cost us around Rs 53 lakh, whereas agencies would ask somewhere between Rs 80 lakh and Rs 1 crore. On Tuesday, we began dismantling two lanes next to the six Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) lanes and removed cabins and related structures,” MCEPL CEO Raghuraman said.
The company has the equipment, such as cranes, and will remove the structure in a planned manner, the official said.
Earlier this week, the Gurgaon Deputy Commissioner told Regional Transport Authority officials to work along with NHAI officials to dismantle the toll plaza for better movement of vehicles.
Sources have told Newsline that the structure would be razed by mid-May.