Delhi Transport Minister Gopal Rai on Monday said he will personally go to the Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB) to discuss the app-based premium bus service scam amidst allegations of corruption. This comes days after Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal tweeted that he present himself before the ACB to answer questions on the bus controversy.
“Modi, the Centre and the ACB are paralysing governance and policy by levying allegations of corruption against the Transport Department. They have been harassing my officers, calling them for questioning and grilling them on policy formulation. We will not allow this,” Rai said on Monday.
“How can they allege corruption when there has been no exchange of money in the scheme yet. It is only on paper. Then where is the corruption? Show me the corruption?” he added. Rai further alleged that opposition leader and BJP MLA Vijender Gupta’s complaint to the ACB earlier this month about a whiff of corruption in the app-based bus service was planned in connivance with LG Najeeb Jung.
He said he formulated and announced on May 1 the premium bus service for a pollution-free Delhi after extensive consultations with experts, CM Arvind Kejriwal and his officers. The scheme was publicly notified later that month. We furnished the notification to the LG when he called for it. Jung had reservations the scheme was shelved late in May, Rai narrated.
Rai added, two days later Vijenger Gupta went ahead and filed a complaint with the ACB. “Why such a late reaction? Why is all this rushed action a month after the plan was formulated?” Rai asked.
“I am going to the ACB tomorrow (Tuesday) at 12 pm with all the requisite files and information though the ACB hasn’t sent for me. I want to ask them where they have got information on corruption in the bus scheme when it hasn’t been rolled out yet? It’s only on paper,” Rai said.
“If they can prove even Re 1 worth of corruption in the scheme, I am ready to go to Tihar jail,” he added.
Rai also, for the first time, publicly said he requested CM Arvind Kejriwal to relieve him of his duties as Transport Minister and reduce the work load because doctors advised him three months of continuous treatment after he was operated upon for a bullet lodged in his back last month. “I have been unwell of late. I am working out of my hospital room,” he said.