scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Sunday, May 22, 2022

Delhi: Woman, four kids die in their sleep, police believe suffocated by angithi smoke

🔴 Police identified the woman as Radha (30) and her children as Komal (11), Jitin (8) Roshani (4) and Arav (3).

Written by Jignasa Sinha | New Delhi |
Updated: January 19, 2022 7:54:50 pm
They were found dead by their neighbour, who called the police when they didn’t open the door Wednesday morning.

A 33-year-old woman and her four children died in their sleep after they inhaled toxic fumes from an angithi in their room in Delhi’s Shahdara. The family had shifted to the area just days ago, and were using the angithi to keep themselves warm as temperatures plunged.

Police identified the woman as Radha (30) and her children as Komal (11), Jitin (8) Roshani (4) and Arav (3).

DCP (Shahdara) R Sathiyasundaram said they received a call around 1.30 pm that five persons were found in an unconscious state inside their house in Old Seemapuri. “We rushed to the spot and found the bodies of a woman and her three kids. We were informed that the fourth child had been taken to the hospital by his father, Mohit Kalia (35). The doctors declared the child dead on arrival,” he said.

The family rented the apartment from Amarpal Singh (60), who lives in Shalimar Garden. He said he too received a call from the neighbours about the incident.

Best of Express Premium

‘He doesn’t beat me, he forces sex to break my spirit’:...Premium
How an energy expert triggered Vladimir Putin with one wordPremium
Explained: How scientists plan to use plants to remove toxic metals from ...Premium
FY22: As Covid curbs ease, outward remittances up 55% to all-time highPremium

“The family moved in three-four days ago. They took the room on the top floor. I came around 11 am to collect the advance rent and IDs and knocked on the door several times, but nobody opened the door. I went back home, but neighbours called me later and I rushed back…” said Singh.

Neighbours said they too knocked on the door, but no one opened it. Later in the afternoon, Mohit was heard screaming and running with his child.

Sarita, their neighbour, said, “I was sitting outside my house when I saw Mohit screaming. He said his kids weren’t waking up. I got confused and asked him to pick them up. He started crying and said everyone died because of the angithi. One of his boys was still breathing. He picked up the child and started running. We all helped and took him to the hospital but the child didn’t make it.”

Radha worked as a domestic worker while Mohit works as a helper in private buses.

Radha’s family, meanwhile, raised allegations of foul play. “I received a call around 1 pm from my relatives. How is it possible that my sister and her children suffocated but nothing happened to her husband?,” said Bantu Kumar (38), Radha’s brother.

Police said they were questioning Mohit about the incident. “We found an angithi and, after local inquiry, we were informed that Mohit was staying at the rented accommodation with his wife and children. Our crime team inspected the spot and it seems they died of suffocation. There was no ventilation inside their small room. But the actual cause of death can be ascertained only after conducting post-mortem,” said the DCP.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement