Delhi Police have arrested the superintendent of a children’s home in southeast Delhi’s Lajpat Nagar for allegedly raping three minor girls who lived there.
Police said the accused — 45-year-old R S Meena — had been sacked on June 3 after the minor girls reported the incident. The issue came to the fore after Delhi Women and Child Welfare Minister Sandeep Kumar visited the home on June 3 and met the girls, who allegedly complained to him about the incident. He had later ordered an inquiry.
Police said they received a complaint on June 3 from the district women and child development officer, accusing Meena of sexual assault which had allegedly taken place in the children’s home on June 2.
According to police, the accused clicked selfies with the girls he raped. “The superintendent used to take children to an isolated space, ask them to sit on his lap and take selfies with them,” said a police officer.
- Seven cops among 18 booked for raping minor and her mother in Haryana village
- Mumbai: Two held for rape of missing minor
- Delhi Police link rape victim to child selling racket, accused held
- Meerut: 26-year-old held for raping 7-yr-old girl, say cops
- SC raps Bihar govt for funding NGO running Muzaffarpur shelter, says women being raped ‘left, right and centre’
- Muzaffarpur re-run? 24 girls rescued, couple held in Deoria
In their statement to police, the girls said Meena would call them to a deserted room, switch on the TV and sexually assault them. According to them, he would then ask the victim to leave and send another girl to the room. The phone with which Meena allegedly clicked selfies has been sent for forensic examination, said the police officer.
He added that the girls have maintained that the abuse had been going on for some time. “We will try and record the statements of a few more girls,” said the officer.
“The statement of the three victims and a house attendant were recorded under CrPC section 164 and an FIR was registered against the accused, who was later arrested. The accused has been placed under one-day police remand and his mobile phone has been seized. The accused has been working in the home since 2015 and has previously worked in other observation homes and day-care centres,” said the officer.
Meena was sacked after the minister found out about the incidents. Around 50 minors, including 15 girls. aged between 6 and 10 years stay at the home.