Follow Us:
Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Delhi senior citizen murder: Victim would have turned 65 on Friday

The security guards at the society’s gates said there are three CCTV cameras inside the complex and one outside.

Written by Abhishek Angad | New Delhi | Published: July 21, 2016 3:35:29 am

Vijay Kumar PB, the senior citizen stabbed to death Wednesday, would have turned 65 on Friday.

His daughter, Ambily Vijay Kumar, said, “I had asked him to pick my children from the bus stop, as I had to attend a meeting. However, the meeting got cancelled and I called my father at 12.40 pm to inform him, but he did not respond. I suspected he might have collapsed due to increased blood pressure, as this had happened in the past. A few months ago he had met with an accident, so, I was worried, but never imagined his murder.”

She said her mother, who is set to retire next month, had called him around 11.30 am. “My father responded to her call and she asked him to cook rice for my children, as we often have lunch together. An hour later, he did not respond, so I suspect something happened in between.”

Share This Article
Related Article

Watch Video: What’s making news

Ambily said when she came to her parents’ home, the door was not latched, “I went in… The bedroom was dark and I could not find him. When I came to the drawing room, I found the mounting iron of the television lying on the sofa and realised the television was missing. I went to the bedroom again and discovered his body, and raised an alarm.” She said their family had lived for long in Gujarat and moved to Delhi after her parents were transferred in 1994.

Asked if she knew of any fight or enmity, Ambily said, “My father lived in peace with everyone. However, four years before his retirement he was embroiled falsely in a corruption case. The matter was heard in appellate tribunal. He proved his honesty and won the case.”

What security staff, domestic help say Police have questioned several people, including the domestic help of the house, Poonam, who comes to work twice a day. Poonam turned up for work at 6 pm. “I had cleaned the house at 10 am and left. Now, I came to know that there has been a murder,” she said.

The security guards at the society’s gates said there are three CCTV cameras inside the complex and one outside. However, they said they did not see anyone carrying a television. The guards said they maintain a register to note the names of domestic helps. However, when The Indian Express scanned the register for the last 10 days there was no entry to house number 129 where Kumar was murdered.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App