Police will question Leena Sharma’s elder sister, Hema, said Ashutosh Singh, SP of Hoshanganbad. Singh said the cremation took place Sunday after the body was handed over to Hema, who arrived from Bangalore.
Leena’s friends, who had started a Facebook campaign to trace her, alleged Hema was a part of the conspiracy and the body should be handed over to them, not her.
- Chandigarh: Two-year-old drowns in bucket of water
- Mandala: Death of 10-year-old boy remains a mystery
- Her youngest son had died in 2015: Woman threatens suicide a day after her son killed self
- Day after son’s death, UP woman threatens suicide
- Surat rape-murder: Police get custody of main accused
- Delhi woman murdered in Madhya Pradesh: Neighbours recall bold, courteous and helpful Leena Sharma
Police custody of Leena’s uncle Pradeep Sharma, a Congress leader, and his two domestic helps ends Monday. Police may seek further remand because elaborate planning went into the murder, as evident from the way the body was buried with urea and salt, said sources.
Leena was allegedly murdered on April 29, said sources. After the death of her grandfather and mother, Leena had become the owner of 12 acres of prime land off the main road in Sohagpur, the place from where her mother and grandparents hailed. Pradeep, in his late 50s, is the cousin of Leena’s mother.