Delhi’s Tis Hazari Court on Saturday sent the father of the 17-year-old boy, who allegedly knocked dead a man with his Mercedes in Civil Lines, to one-day police custody. The juvenile has been charged with culpable homicide.
The incident took place on Monday when Siddharth Sharma was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in Civil Lines and the speeding Mercedes hit him. The car was being driven at a speed of at least 80 km per hour and Sharma was flung several feet into the air by the impact of the crash and landed around 15 metres away from where he stood. After the incident, a group of youths stepped out of the vehicle and fled the spot, abandoning the car there.
“On examination of CCTV footage, the possibility of knowledge to the accused juvenile offender that his extremely fast driving in a residential area can cause a death cannot be ruled out,” DCP (North) Madhur Verma said.
Last year, the minor was also challaned thrice, for over-speeding in April and June and wrong parking in February. “In view of these facts, the death of Siddharth Sharma is a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and, hence, section 304 of IPC has been added in the FIR,” said Verma.
The last time Delhi Police booked someone under culpable homicide in such a matter was in the Sanjeev Nanda BMW case 17 years ago, a senior official said. On January 10, 1999, six persons, including three policemen, were killed by a speeding BMW car allegedly driven by Nanda in the wee hours in south Delhi’s Lodhi Colony area.
Similar stand was also taken by Mumbai Police in the Salman Khan case. Delhi Police on Friday arrested the juvenile’s father, an Old Delhi-based businessman who lives with his family at a posh apartment in Civil lines area, under Sections 109/304 (abetment to culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC