Delhi learns from Chhattisgarh deaths, says no targets set for any facility

The advisory has seven-point checklist that centres need to follow.

Written by Pritha Chatterjee | New Delhi | Published: November 15, 2014 1:36:53 am
Health pavilion at IITF. (Source: Express photo) Health pavilion at IITF. (Source: Express photo)

The Chhattisgarh sterilisation tragedy has prompted the Directorate of Family Welfare to issue an advisory to all registered centres (under the Delhi government) that perform tubectomy procedures. It has stressed on “zero tolerance to any death due to sterlisation”.

Dr R K Gupta — the surgeon who operated on the women in Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh, and was arrested this week —had blamed sterilisation targets set by the government and poor quality of drugs.

However, the letter clarified that “no targets are allocated to any facility or service provider under the current family planning programme” and that “the policy of no forced or coerced sterilisation is to be strictly adhered to”.

“Any expected levels of achievement… are only to invoke a sense of responsibility,” it states. This can be done by “exploring the client’s needs by sensitive history taking and fulfilling the client’s needs as per their choice…,” the letter further states.

It also said services are to be delivered in a “client friendly manner with due sensitivity and seriousness”. Further, approved family planning camps should be set up only after “meticulous planning/permission at facilities” and at those which are accredited.

The advisory has seven-point checklist that centres need to follow such as client selection, counselling and consent taking procedure, infection prevention measures, sterilisation of equipment, conduct of procedure, post-operative observation and follow-up.

Sterilisation workshop at Trade Fair

Health Minister J P Nadda inaugurated the health pavilion at the India International Trade fair on Friday. The pavilion included a ‘No Scalpel Vasectomy (NSV)’ or a male sterilisation workshop set up by Lok Nayak hospital. This facility has been set up every year at the fair by LN hospital since 1995. According to senior surgeons at the camp, the number of clients peaked in 2007 with 488 men undergoing the surgery, followed by over 360 in 2008. However, in the last few years the numbers have been dwindling. Last year only 158 men underwent the procedure.  The camp will be open from November 14-27 between 10 am-7 pm.
ENS

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement