This Diwali, hospitals in the national capital witnessed a substantial rise in the number of patients coming with burn injuries, even after the Supreme Court imposed a ban on the sale and purchase of firecrackers. Five nodal government hospitals in the capital reported 211 cases of burn injuries this year, as against 179 cases in 2017.
The Central government-run Safdarjung Hospital reported the highest number of burn cases this year. The hospital, which has the biggest burn ward, reported a rise of 55 per cent as compared to last year. In 2017, the hospital’s burn ward reported 55 cases with five admissions, while 85 cases have been confirmed this year.
“Of the 85 cases, 22 were admitted in the ward. In total, we received 104 cases Wednesday out of which 19 cases were not related to Diwali. A total of 43 people sustained injuries from bursting crackers, while 20 got burned from lighting diyas,” said Dr Shalabh Kumar, professor and consultant, plastic surgery department, Safdarjung Hospital.
RML Hospital reported 25 cases this year, while the number was 29 in 2017. While AIIMS did not report any case of burn injury, around 30-40 cases of eye injury were reported from its Dr Rajendra Prasad Centre for Opthalmic Sciences.
“Last year, we had received 68 cases of eye injury during the Diwali season. This time, it has dropped by almost 50 per cent. There are seven patients admitted in our ward,” said Dr JS Titiyal, professor, ophthalmology, AIIMS, and chairman of the National Eye Bank.
Delhi government’s Lok Nayak Hospital reported a substantial rise in cases — burn ward has reported 21 cases in 2018, as against 10 cases in 2017.