Fearing closure of four operation theatres in Lok Nayak Hospital, the Delhi government has asked the administration to initiate procurement of equipment for the department of surgery in a time-bound manner. Last week, the department came out with an order wherein it decided to shut four general surgery OTs from December 1 due to shortage of equipment.
A meeting was held with the Secretary (Health) and hospital officials to resolve the problem. In a November 6 order, head of department Dr P Lal highlighted the shortage of essential equipment and how this has affected the department’s functioning.
“The administration has been asked to prepare a timeline and availability of funds. The government has taken serious note of the problem and the hospital has been instructed to start the purchasing at the earliest. A health department official will be following up with the hospital on a weekly basis,” said a senior official from the health department.
Senior officials said the department was told to continue with services as the government is directly monitoring the issue. “The government will hire technicians for a fourth OT lying dysfunctional for years,” said the official.
Confirming the development, Health Secretary Sanjeev Khirwar told The Indian Express: “The meeting was held to discuss deficiencies… The purchase process will begin soon and OT services will not be shut.”
Meanwhile, both BJP and Congress hit out at the AAP government over the shutting down of the OTs.