High drama in heart of city as car hits bike, rams barricadehttps://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/crowd-protesting-against-accident-cane-charged-in-delhi/

High drama in heart of city as car hits bike, rams barricade

Tension gripped Shaheed Park in Delhi Gate after rumours spread of the death of the boy in the accident.

delhi, police lathicharge
The crowd claimed a three-year-old child was crushed to death by a Swift car, allegedly driven by a traffic cop, near Rajghat. (Source: Express photo)

Central Delhi witnessed high drama on Sunday night after a 39-year-old motorcyclist, who was travelling with his wife and son, were hit by a speeding car that was allegedly being driven by a Delhi traffic police personnel. Police said the motorcyclist hung on the bonnet in an attempt to stop the car and was dragged for over two km, till the car rammed into a police barricade outside Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium near Delhi Gate.

Subsequently, tension gripped Shaheed Park in Delhi Gate after rumours spread of the death of the boy in the accident. Police resorted to mild lathicharge to disperse the crowd. Police said all three are out of danger, while the erring policeman has been apprehended.

According to police, the three have been identified as Jitender Tomar, his wife Bharti Devi (28) and their two-and-half-year old son, Vansh. They were on their way home from Kalkaji temple when the incident occurred.


“A PCR call was received around 7 pm about an accident on Raghat road. Police rushed to the spot and found out the motorcycle was hit by a Hyundai i-20 car near the Rajghat main traffic signal towards ITO. Tomar tried stopping the car and clung to the bonnet,” an officer said.


Police said the car did not stop and drove on till Shaheed Park with Tomar hanging on to the bonnet. It finally hit the barricades and came to a halt. The traffic police personnel, posted in Daryaganj, then got out of the car and entered into a heated argument with residents who gathered at the spot. Residents of Delhi Gate also reached the spot.

The argument took a violent turn, with residents thrashing the police personnel and resorting to stone-pelting. PCR staff in the area informed the concerned police station about the incident. More force was sent in and senior police officers also reached the spot and resorted to mild lathicharge to disperse the crowd.

“We were standing near Shanti Van when we saw a car hit the motorcylce. The driver, however, didn’t stop and drove on. Several of us gave chase and intercepted the car just outside Shaheed Park. We found a traffic police’s uniform in the back seat of the car which convinced us that the driver was a policeman. We then called police and handed him over,” Gaurav, an eyewitness, said.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (Central) Paramaditya said, “We have detained the alleged police personnel and have registered a case of rash and negligent driving. Investigation is on. Several residents were protesting for over an hour outside newspaper offices near Shaheed Park. We had to use mild force to disperse them.”

Meanwhile, the family was taken to LNJP hospital where Bharti and Vansh were discharged after first-aid. Tomar is still is recuperating. “We were coming from Kalkaji temple and going towards our home in Karawal Nagar when a speeding car hit us. We fell on the road, but I could not see my son. I just jumped on the car’s bonnet as I thought my son slipped under the wheels of the car. Even then the driver did not stop,” Tomar told Newsline.