June 20, 2021 11:12:54 am
As part of a push to activate multiple child support mechanisms, the State Child Protection Society has opened up applications for families to foster children.
The Delhi Woman and Child Development department has released guidelines for the sponsorship programme that will provide financial assistance of Rs. 2000 monthly to children who are either orphaned and living with extended family, or who have a lone parent incapable of providing for them.
The eligibility conditions for families to apply to foster a child are:
- That the applicant and their spouse must be at least 35 years old
- That both are Indian citizens and are residents of and have a house in Delhi
- That both spouses are willing to foster the same child
- That they are “in good physical, emotional and mental health
- That they are “ordinarily having an income to meet the needs of the child”
- That they have adequate space at home
- That they “possess competency to own responsibility of a child to temporarily receive and foster care and protection..”
- Ultimately, a Child Welfare Committee concerned or Juvenile Justice Board will decide on whether a family is fit to foster a child within their family unit. The duration of short time foster care is not more than one year.
So far in Delhi, family-based foster care has not been in practice. Instead, group foster care has been practiced through NGOs and institutions.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.