The Delhi High Court has suggested that the government take a “re-look” at the proposed redevelopment plan in East Kidwai Nagar, which includes the construction of several highrise residential buildings and commercial space.
In a writ petition before the court in April this year, senior advocate Aman Lekhi and advocate Manali Singhal had challenged the redevelopment plan, alleging that it was an example of “unintelligent planning” that would destroy the environment.
While the court has not issued any orders in the matter, Justice Manmohan on Tuesday suggested that various government agencies involved could “sit down and discuss” the various issues and consider modifying the plan.
The proposal includes construction of 5,000 Type IV and V flats in 76 high rise towers for Central government employee. It also includes 1 lakh sq meters of commercial space to be used by various PSUs.
In the plea before the court, Lekhi argued that the plan was not feasible given the scarcity of water, electricity and sanitation facilities. The advocate has also argued that the project would create huge traffic problems and would block access to AIIMS hospital from the South Extension.
“ I cannot allow an urban slum to come up in the hart of Delhi. How can you have so much construction?” the judge said.
Senior advocate AS Chandhiok, appearing on behalf of the National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC), the agency implementing the project, argued that the work had already begun and that funds had been received from PSUs which were to take up the commercial space.
Lekhi alleged that the Delhi Urban arts Commission and the Delhi Police had raised objections to the plan, but then had “changed their stand” due to “pressure”. “You have raised a very important issue. The question is whether the infrastructure can actually bear this burden,” the judge said.The hearing will continue on Thursday.