The bridge Feroz Shah Tughlaq (1309-1388) built on the Yamuna at Wazirabad has been in use for over six centuries. The Yamuna no longer flows below it. Instead,filth and overgrown shrubs lie below. But the bridge still looks sturdy. With its arches,colonnades and screened windows,the bridge was an engineering marvel when it was built in the 14th century. With the Delhi Government building an ambitious overpass at Wazirabadand that too a bit too close to the heritage structureits not only the bridge but also the adjoining tomb of Sufi saint Shah Alam,a medieval mosque and a gallery for women devotees that are under threat.
At half-an-hour drive from the Wazirabad Bridge lies the Barapula bridge,just outside the Nizamuddin Railway Station. Hidden behind grilled barricades and shacks covered with blue plastic sheets,Barapula,is barely two kilometres away from Humayuns tomb. With 11 arched openings,12 piers,each of which is surmounted by a two-metre-high minar,the bridge is about 15 metres wide and 195 metres long. An inscription dates the structure to 1621,built by Mihr Banu Agha,the chief eunuch of Jahangirs court. The repair and beautification plans of the nearby heritage structures at Humayuns tomb and Nizamuddins dargah have obviously skipped Barapula,but photographs taken by W. Caney in 1870 and available with the ASI show Barapula as an impressive structure sloping over a curvy river,with masonry walls protecting its sides. The bridge once connected Delhi to the road that led to Agra.
Last month as heavy vehicular traffic damaged the Mangi Bridge,connecting Red Fort with an older Salimgarh fortress,scraping the surface of the structure,the Archaeological Survey of India announced its plans of repair. The British-era bridge that was once a link to a bridge built by Jahangir in 1626long before the Red Fort was constructedis but a representative of the citys bridges,some of which have just disappeared. Jahangirs bridge is one such example. The Mughal emperor had constructed it to access Salimgarh from Yamuna bank,past the dilapidated Afghan fort which stood at the site now occupied by the Red Fort.
The bridges in the city also tell the story of a shifting Yamuna and its now non-existent tributarieslike the remains of a 15th century bridge in Khizrabad near New Friends Colony that covers a drain or the bridge in Kotla Mubarakpura spanning over a filthy nullah.
Up north in the city,Pul Bangash has lent its name to a Metro Station. Old timers say there was a stream below the Pul till 1947. The rundown bridge itself is fast disappearing under heavy traffic flow and a crowded masala market.
Of the bridges built by the British,the Lothian BridgeDelhis first railway bridge that was named after Lt. Col. Lothian Kerr-Scott of the Royal Engineers and built in 1867 and the Minto Bridge of the Northern Railway that was built in 1933,have survived to an extent in their original shapes.
To see the citys best-kept and most attractive bridge,one has to make a trip to the Lodi Gardens. The Athpula at one end of the garden dates back to Akbars time. The 16th century bridge with seven arches has eight piers and thus the name Athpula. The bridge once spanned a tributary of the Yamuna. The span of the arches decrease from the centre to the bank and the top is paved with grey stones. Standing on this bridge amid the green expanse of the Lodi Gardens,one is assured that at least we havent burnt all our bridges with the past.