scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, January 28, 2022

Body of teenage boy fished out of Munak canal

Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia visited the spot on Wednesday afternoon and directed that the water level be lowered.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi |
February 26, 2015 3:53:25 am

The body of a 15-year-old boy was fished out of a Munak canal rivulet in Outer Delhi’s Bawana area on Wednesday evening. The boy, Sahil, and Shunty (16) were reported missing on Sunday, while their motorcycle was found parked near the rivulet.

Police said the two boys had borrowed the two-wheeler from Shunty’s father on Sunday to go for a ride. When they did not return home that evening, their families began searching for them and found the motorbike parked by the rivulet.

The parents informed police and asked them to lower the water level of the canal so that they could search for the boys. Locals alleged that police refused to do so, which led to protests in the area on Monday.

However, Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia visited the spot on Wednesday afternoon and directed that the water level be lowered.

Sahil’s body was recovered from on Wednesday evening by Rescue Relief Boats sent by the Revenue Department. The team sent out several motor boats with divers who searched the canal for two days. The rescue operation was supervised by DM (North).

Lowering of the canal waters on Wednesday will affect parts of Delhi, which will be hit by water shortage on Thursday, authorities said.
“It is a tragic incident. The motorcycle was found near the canal. Locals were saying that the children might have drowned. The divers had been trying to find them but were not able to due to the high water level. So, we stopped the water supply for a few hours. It will have an impact on water supply in some areas on Thursday. But it was a tough decision. We were more concerned about the children of the two families,” Sisodia said.

Ved Prakash, AAP MLA from Bawana, said, “The slope of the canal is dangerous, and many children play on its banks. Though it is not clear what happened, we will look at measures we can take.”

Prakash said he was not in Delhi on Wednesday when Sisodia visited the families.

Meanwhile, rescue operations are on to find Shunty. Police have begun inquest proceedings under Section 174 of the CrPC.

Deputy Commissioner of Police (Outer Delhi) Vikramjit Singh said, “We are probing the matter and inquest proceedings are on. We have ruled out foul play.”

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement