Around Town

Around Town

Two minors,including a four-year-old girl,were raped in separate incidents reported from the Capital on Thursday.

Two minors raped in separate incidents

NEW DELHI: Two minors,including a four-year-old girl,were raped in separate incidents reported from the Capital on Thursday,police said. The first incident was reported from Khayala in West Delhi,where a seven-year-old girl was sexually assaulted by a 27-year-old man,who was later arrested. “The victim was at her aunt’s house when the incident occurred. When her aunt went to the market,the accused raped her,” police said. In the second incident,a four-year-old girl was raped by a 14-year-old boy in Northeast Delhi’s Seemapuri area. “We were informed about the incident by the victim’s parents and,when her medical examination confirmed sexual assault,the juvenile was apprehended,” a senior police officer said.

Depressed,man attempts immolation

NEW DELHI: A 30-year old man,identified as Kallu Baba,set himself on fire on Thursday afternoon in Central Delhi,police said. According to police,Baba worked as a labourer in the Meena Bazar area. “He set himself on fire because he was depressed. By the time the fire was doused,he had sustained almost 100 per cent burns,” said a senior police officer. Baba was rushed to JPN Hospital and is recuperating. A case has been registered at the Jama Masjid police station.

Bhushan taken to court over PM remark

NEW DELHI: A lawyer has approached a Delhi court with a criminal complaint against Team Anna member Prashant Bhushan. The lawyer accused him of “abusing and defaming” Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. The complaint was filed in the court of the Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate in Patiala House. “The accused is in the habit of defaming and maligning top personalities of the country,” lawyer D D Sharma said in his complaint. Bhushan had recently criticised Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

American held with cartridges gets bail

NEW DELHI: A 27-year-old American businessman arrested for possessing 23 live cartridges has been granted bail by a Delhi court,saying investigation had showed that his act was not “deliberate or intentional”. The man was held at the IGI airport on May 26. Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sameer Bajpai allowed the bail plea,observing that the accused was “young” and had a “good background”. He has been directed not to leave the country till a chargesheet is filed.