A 16-year-old girl, who was battling for her life after being allegedly raped and set ablaze by a youth in Greater Noida, on Wednesday succumbed to her injuries. The girl had suffered over 95 per cent burns and was fighting for her life at Safdarjung Hospital in New Delhi following the incident that occurred on Monday in Tigri village, Greater Noida West.
The girl died in the wee hours, a senior doctor said. The accused, aged 18 years, has been taken into custody. He was a neighbour of the victim’s family and, according to her father, had become friendly with her. Police said the youth allegedly went to the girl’s house and met her on the roof where he raped her and set her ablaze. He then fled the spot.
- Life guard at Greater Noida school held for ‘sexually assaulting’ 3-year-old
- Eight-year-old raped in Amethi
- Two minor boys held for rape of tribal girl in Jharkhand
- Jharkhand: Humiliated by panchayat’s fine, rape accused sets minor victim on fire; 15 arrested
- Andhra Pradesh: Minor girl sexually assaulted by elderly man, outrage in Guntur
- Youth shot dead, friend raped by roadside near Thane, no leads so far
The incident, which occurred on the eve of International Women’s Day, is yet another in a chain of crimes against women in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR) zone, where the Nirbhaya gangrape case of 2012 had led to nationwide outrage and a revision of rape laws.