Admission for children with disabilities is all set to get smoother with the Department of Education (DoE) stepping in to handhold the entire process following directions from the Delhi High Court. In a first, parents of children with special needs (CWSN) can now seek admission in any five schools of their choice by filling up a common admission form, available on the department’s website.
“The filled application form will then be directly transferred online to the private schools applied to as well as the deputy director or nodal officer. The schools can then take the necessary steps to grant admission and will be required to convey the result of admission in writing to both the parents and the department,” a senior DoE official told.
Schools refusing to grant admission will have to state in writing the reasons for not granting admission to a child to the directorate.
- Gujarat: On last day of admissions, trail of woes for parents; schools ‘overcharge’, discrepancies in online forms
- Bone test on EWS student: Delhi education dept says her parents could be lying
- School says girl doesn’t look her age, Directorate of Education orders bone ossification test
- Citizens panel to check EWS admission violations
- RTE logjam: Parents say schools still refusing admissions, deadline extended
- After HC order, Delhi govt schools revert to offline admissions
If a child is not admitted even after applying to schools, the parents can contact the deputy director concerned or nodal officer. “If the deputy director concerned also fails in this regard, he shall inform the Chief Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities and principal secretary, DoE, in order to ensure that mandate to place the child is fulfilled,” the notification reads.
The Delhi High Court had directed the DoE in September and again in November to verify facilities available at the city’s private schools for differently abled children. Thereafter, it had directed the department to ensure that “copy of every form filled by prospective candidates is generated and received automatically by the nodal agency”.