scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Tuesday, July 27, 2021

AAP’s Somnath Bharti entered house, molested and dragged out foreign nationals: Chargesheet

The police chargesheet claims that nine foreign nationals were “victims of molestation” and “manhandling by a mob”.

Written by Kaunain Sheriff M | New Delhi |
Updated: October 8, 2014 11:21:02 am
Former law minister Somnath Bharti and 17 others were chargesheeted in the case. Former law minister Somnath Bharti and 17 others were chargesheeted in the case.

The Delhi Police in its chargesheet against former Delhi law minister Somnath Bharti and 17 others, in connection with the midnight raid in Khirki Extension earlier this year, has named nine foreign nationals as complainants.

Bharti, who has been chargesheeted under 18 sections of the IPC, has also been charged with assaulting or obstructing a public servant when suppressing a riot. The police chargesheet claims that nine foreign nationals were “victims of molestation” and “manhandling by a mob”.

Police have also named 41 prosecution witnesses, of whom eight are foreign nationals. These eight are also named as complainants in the case, the remaining one foreign national being the main complainant.

In its chargesheet, police have alleged that Bharti and the other accused “trespassed” into the house of the main complainant — who was residing with two other foreign nationals, also complainants in the case.

It claims that the accused “molested and assaulted them” and “dragged them out of their houses”. When Newsline tried visiting the house, it was discovered that the three have since moved out. Three other complainants in the case refused to speak on the matter when approached.

Police also alleged that the accused “stopped” and “beat up” two foreign nationals who had arrived in a taxi near Saibaba Mandir in Khirki Extension. However, they have also moved out of their address listed in the chargesheet.

Speaking to Newsline, Bharti said the allegations were “absolutely cooked up” and that he would argue the case himself.
“The entire events of that night have been recorded on video, in the presence of the media and police. If any of this is true, there has to be some video proof. The fact is that I have an affidavit that says police took the women to the Saket Bar Association and dictated the complaint there, from which all this has come. After this, there was an unheard-of hurry in a case in which a sitting law minister was involved. Twenty-three procedures were completed in a day. This clearly shows that the police proceedings were already prejudiced,” he said.

Bharti denied ever entering a house and said the all events happened “out on the street”. “Have they substantiated this with any local people at all? None of this will stand scrutiny in any court of law,” he said.

Police said the forensic report on the CDs obtained from two news channels has revealed that all video files had contained “one identical video shot” and that there was “no indication of alteration” in any of the identified shots. The chargesheet also said the “relevant video files” is a post-production edited version and that the files contained a number of shots with “transition effect”.

The “activity of mob”, the police chargesheet said, was captured by CCTV cameras at AIIMS.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Advertisement

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
X