AAP releases video of police ‘brutality’, 3 cops suspended

Special CP (Law and Order) Deepak Mishra said, “Three personnel have been suspended based on the video.”

New Delhi | Updated: January 25, 2014 2:46:25 am
In a message posted along with the video, AAP said the video not only “shows Delhi Police’s inhuman behaviour, but also the urban legend of police extorting money”. In a message posted along with the video, AAP said the video not only “shows Delhi Police’s inhuman behaviour, but also the urban legend of police extorting money”.

Delhi Police on Friday suspended three of its personnel pending inquiry after the Aam Aadmi Party released a video of the three beating up a man. Police said there has been no complaint in the matter.

Police said action was taken against the three constables — Jitendra, Arvind and Saurabh — after AAP uploaded the video on Facebook.

Special CP (Law and Order)  Deepak Mishra said, “Three personnel have been suspended based on the video.”

In the 5-minute video, reportedly shot on January 12, policemen were seen beating a man with a baton and grabbing his wallet. In a message posted along with the video, AAP said the video not only “shows Delhi Police’s inhuman behaviour, but also the urban legend of police extorting money”.

The video, police sources said, was shot near Red Fort.

According to police, on the day of the incident, a man approached the three constables who were stationed in the Kotwali area and informed them that the man (seen being beaten up by police in the video) had tried to steal his wallet. The complainant claimed that though he had managed to get his wallet back, the man was carrying a blade which was “dangerous”.

Acting on the complaint, the constables caught hold of the man and beat him up. “It was an unidentified individual who posted the video on the AAP website. We are trying to contact him,” an officer said.

CM seeks PM’s help to retain 9 IAS officers

Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has sought PM Manmohan Singh’s intervention in retaining nine senior IAS officers, who were transferred out of the Delhi government by the Home Ministry earlier this month. In a letter to Singh, Kejriwal said the officers, who were transferred on January 10, have experience and his new government required their services, sources said. “We are new and need good officers who have been working with the government for some time,” the CM said. Sources said the government was upset over the transfers, which had been done without discussion with the CM.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement