Days after the Anti-Corruption Branch launched a probe into the AAP government’s Premium Bus Service scheme, the government Tuesday issued advertisements in city newspapers asking people if they “agree” with the scheme, and sought “suggestions to improve it”.
The ACB started the probe on the basis of a complaint filed by leader of opposition in Delhi Assembly and BJP MLA Vijender Gupta, who has alleged that the government was “trying to benefit” a particular private bus aggregator.
Read about Delhi Government’s Premium Bus Service Scheme
— AAP In News (@AAPInNews) June 7, 2016
A senior official said, “The government has issued the ad and thrown the debate open over the need for the bus service. It will introduce scheme if there is an overwhelming response from people.”
The advertisement lists 17 salient features of the service, including ACs, WiFi and GPS systems, and requests people to email suggestions by June 20.
- I-T dept raids Delhi Minister Kailash Gahlot’s residence
- Hardlook — Public transport: Bus stopped
- Delay expected: More roadblocks in AAP plan to induct 2,000 new buses
- Delhi: Student passes should not be valid inside AC buses, say Finance dept
- AAP govt moves Supreme Court for 500 more cluster buses
- What is Delhi government’s home delivery of public services?
In a tweet Tuesday morning, Kejriwal said, “We are separately writing to all RWAs, industry associations and expert bodies to seek their suggestions.” In another tweet, he said, “LG and BJP aggressively opposing this scheme. Let Delhi decide whether it is good or bad”.
The Premium Bus Service — announced during phase II of the odd-even scheme — was slated to be rolled out on June 1, and a notification was issued last month. Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung, however, pointed out that his approval had not been sought and asked to see the file.
The government sent him the file, while maintaining that the L-G’s approval was not needed. Jung, however, alleged that the scheme appeared to have been launched to “benefit one company” and refused to give his approval.
The ACB then summoned the transport commissioner who allegedly notified the proposal without Jung’s approval. The government was forced to shelved the scheme. AAP workers also staged protests outside Gupta’s residence and branded his complaint as “baseless”.