Updated: January 21, 2016 2:28:03 am
The Delhi government Wednesday said its claim that the CBI raided Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s office on December 15 has been proved right in the court of law.
Earlier in the day, a special court had directed the agency to return some documents seized by it during the raid.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) owed “an explanation to the nation”. “After today’s CBI court order directing release of docs seized from CMO, PMO owes an explanation to the nation since CBI reports to PM,” he tweeted.
The court’s directive had proved that the CBI intended to raid the chief minister’s office (CMO) and the raid was not related to corruption allegations against Kejriwal’s principal secretary Rajendra Kumar, said Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia. He also demanded an apology from Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the “politically motivated raid”.
“In Parliament, it was said that the raid was not on the CM’s office. We want to ask whether the Prime Minister will now apologise in front of the country? It was an attempt to discredit the government… he should apologise for the politically motivated raid. His officers had misinformed him… they took random files on the pretext of a raid,” said Sisodia.
The Delhi government is looking into whether action can be taken against officials who conducted the raid, said Sisodia. “We hope that action will be sought against officials who were part of the raid…those officials should be held accountable,” he said.
On the court’s order, Sisodia said, “The court has… observed that the CBI was in a hurry for unknown reasons. We have always maintained that the CBI raid was a political one and the agency had used the office of Rajendra Kumar to raid the CM’s office. Today, this has been proved and accepted by the court as the CBI could not prove to the court why the agency required documents from 2015 for a matter that took place between 2007 and 2013,” said Sisodia.
The court has “categorically observed this was an illegal and improper exercise”, Sisodia said.
“The files were on transfer postings, on the visitors to CM’s office… there were some files of the transport department. Today, the CBI also accepted that the documents the agency had procured had nothing to do with the documents it was looking for. The CBI is investigating an alleged scam that took place during the previous government’s tenure… yet, you are taking files on the recruitment of volunteers during the odd-even scheme and on the food and supplies department. This means the CBI had come there with an intention to discredit the CM’s office,” said Sisodia.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.