8-year-old electrocuted: ‘He was excited at the idea of visiting a gym’https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/8-year-old-electrocutedhe-was-excited-at-the-idea-of-visiting-a-gym/

8-year-old electrocuted: ‘He was excited at the idea of visiting a gym’

Minaksh Monga, who came to India to visit his relatives and spend his summer vacations here, was electrocuted inside the gym on Monday.

A day after an FIR was registered against the owners of a gym in northwest Delhi’s Keshav Puram area, where an eight-year-old boy was electrocuted, police have said that the matter is under the investigation and they are waiting for the electricity department’s evaluation report.

The FIR has been registered at the Keshav Puram police station under Section 304(a) of the Indian Penal Code (causing death by negligence), against the owners of the gym.

Minaksh Monga, who came to India to visit his relatives and spend his summer vacations here, was electrocuted inside the gym on Monday.

Minaksh, who lived in Muscat and studied in Class 3, had reportedly never been to a gym in that country and was excited by the idea of visiting a gym.

Advertising

“He urged his uncle to take him to a gym as he had never been to one. His uncle took him to Health Ways Gym, located at Lawrence Road,” said a person who had knowledge of the incident.

At approximately 11.30 am on Monday, they tried to enter the gym through an automatic entry machine.

While his uncle passed through it without touching the machine, the child happened to touch the machine on his way in.

“Electricity was running through the machine and he screamed the moment he touched it and fell unconscious. His uncle rushed him to the hospital but he was declared brought dead,” said a police officer. No arrest has been made in the case yet.

“Prima facie it appears that there was no malafide intention from the management of the gym. It was an accident, however, we are looking into how the electricity started flowing in the machine and whether it was carelessness on the part of the management,” said the officer.