A week after a 13-year-old boy was abducted and murdered by his kidnappers in East Delhi, a six-year-old boy was abducted and killed by his captors on Friday in Central Delhi. Police said they suspect the role of a relative of the boy’s father in the abduction. The abductors had demanded a ransom of Rs 1.5 lakh.
A senior police officer said, “The child, Ganesh, was playing outside his house in Central Delhi’s Ranjeet Nagar area on Thursday night when he was kidnapped. The abductors called up his father, Pramod, a vegetable vendor, and demanded a ransom of Rs 1.5 lakh. We were informed and we searched for the boy all night. On Friday morning, we found Ganesh’s body in a park in Naraina.”
Police said Ganesh’s abductors asked Pramod where his son was. “When he replied that Ganesh was playing outside, the caller told him that Ganesh had been kidnapped and that Pramod will have to pay Rs 1.5 lakh for his son’s safe return. The caller also warned Pramod against informing police,” the officer said.
Pramod, however, informed the nearest police station and an FIR was registered immediately. Police said teams searched for the boy all night. The next morning, a person found the child’s body in Satya Park in Southwest Delhi’s Naraina area and informed police. The child’s neck bore slits made with a sharp object, police said. The body has been sent for a post-mortem examination.
Police are going through Pramod’s call data records to determine who made the ransom call. Investigations are on and police suspect a relative or a friend of Pramod’s to be involved in the abduction and murder. Police said abductors must have got scared that they would be caught when Pramod informed police.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines